Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Cyber Days

Doing cyber school every day is really a big change for everyone. Everything was once normal and we went to school every morning had all our activities and were very busy. All a sudden we are told no more coming too, all sports and events canceled, and we have to do school work at home. It was definitely pretty hard to start online learning. I didn't know what to expect or how I was supposed to do things. Eventually, I figured it out and learned how to manage my time. I have learned when I need to start, what classes I should do first depends on the due date, and how to treat this like real school. For most, it has probably been difficult to treat this like a real school and do your work well every time. I knew that I needed to keep my grades up and finish on time although I have had some late grades because I forgot that the assignment was due at 3. But overall I think I am doing okay with this transition. I do enjoy being able to wake up later and do stuff on my own time but without a time limit like a class period, you may spend more time than needed on something especially with distractions. While this is a challenge for students I'm sure it is also a challenge for teachers. They now need to start communicating more with students now that they just can't tell us it. They have to think of new ways to teach, ways for students to do assignments, and how they will be turned in. I'm sure having to change all these ways has made us appreciate being able to go to school. Some teachers are trying to find ways for us students to take a quiz or test. They are setting time limits or using certain websites. No matter what they do temptations will be strong for students to cheat, or copy work off the internet or each other. It's very hard to resist knowing that you could easily cheat but we need to remember that we are still in school, just a different setting. We shouldn't let these circumstances change who we are or what kind of people we are. We need to be honest and resist the urge and just try our best. We aren't perfect but we can try to be with or without a crisis going on. I don't know but I'm sure teachers have some of the same problems with slacking off because yes, they are humans too. They may assign very little meaningless work to get grades in. They may not explain material well and just expect the student to figure it out on their own. Then they may not really check over the student's work for correctness which can be a problem if the student is teaching themselves the work. They could be teaching themselves wrong and the teacher won't look at the work hard enough to let them know they are wrong. The student could go being wrong and not know. So hopefully teachers aren't using this time at home as a break and still trying to teach us correctly. Everybody is having struggles, maybe we can all address them and try to change. Maybe in this hard time, we can come together, support each other, do our best work, and finish out the week strong before the break. Good Luck!

1 comment:

  1. Terrific work, Laura. One thing that will always stand out to me about this new approach, is how there is no handbook or playbook. We are all - students and teachers - figuring out how this is supposed to work on the fly. Personally, I thing the vast majority of my students (including you!) are doing a great job at keeping it together, getting the work done, and learning something along the way. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Future Laura....

Dear future Laura,     The date is June 2nd, 2020. I hope you are great and in good health and enjoying life. I hope most of your dreams...